"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vampire Paramedic

This is my arm one week after my trip to the ER. When someone came in to take blood he introduced himself as a vampire. I said "it's a good thing because my veins are small and deep. They don't give it up easily." He looked around and went for this. Why did he choose this area? It burst almost immediately. It was the most painful blood draw I have ever had in my entire life. It actually took my mind off my stomach for a minute. Of course he had to go again to my other arm in the crook of my elbow like a normal person. But first he left to go get a smaller needle. Did I not warn you? I asked him if he was a phlebotomist or a nurse. He said a paramedic. I said, "so your patients are usually unconscious already." I asked if he would like to try my skull next. He said he did have a gun that shot right into the bone, but he would have to take me outside to do it because he wasn't allowed to do it in the hospital. It sounds like I was being horrible, but my husband was right outside in the hallway answering questions. He came in and asked what all the giggling was about. My nurse was in there too. He was laughing at how I was interacting with the paramedic. See, when I am in a bad spot I make jokes and laugh to relieve tension. But now I think, seriously, what was he thinking? Was he just trying to prove he could get my veins. I've had kidney problems since I was 6 years old. I know my veins by now. Let me save you some trouble and me some pain and heed my warning. Maybe I'll have a warning label tattooed on my arm just in case I ever am unconscious for the paramedics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment