"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Maternity Leave

Okay, I know most people only get 6 to 12 weeks, but I'm not most people. I have Fibromyalgia. Wait, can I use that excuse? No, I can't. I've been off the blogosphere for four and a half months now. But it's not because of the Fibro. Yes, it has played a role, but only a small part. It's more because of my situation as a "mom". I'm a new mom, but not by birth. We are doing foster to adopt. On August 26 we got the call to come to the hospital to pick up a 5 day old baby boy who had been born on drugs. He was ready to go home, but needed a safe place to go. He was a preemie and had the jitters and tremors. He was so tiny when we brought him home, 4 lbs 7 oz., that we called him Paquito. For the first 2 and a half months he had to eat every 2 hours, which took almost an hour. I was getting only about 45 minutes sleep at a time if I was lucky. It was hard. After about a month we were asked if we could take another baby boy for about 2 months. He was the same age as Paquito, but healthy. I figured I'm not getting any sleep anyway, so I might as well. Wow, I had no idea. Shortly after we welcomed home the second baby Paquito took a turn for the worse. He had been struggling with reflux so bad that he spent the whole night choking and gagging. He wasn't gaining weight and was diagnosed with severe failure to thrive. He ended up on a feeding tube. An n.g. tube, the one that goes down the nose. So now I spent all my time trying to keep him from pulling it out and he spent 14 hours a day hooked up to an IV pole. It did accidentally come out twice. The tube helped and he started to gain weight. Meanwhile I continued to struggle with my own health issues. I had been having stomach problems. They persisted. I did not have gall stones. My stomach was inflamed, but there were no polyps or ulcers. I tested negative for Celiac disease. He did say that there is a small chance that it was a false negative. I was to continue the medicine and GURD diet. I was having so much trouble with what I could tolerate that I've lost 35 pounds. I'm glad to have lost the weight, but it's not the way you wanna lose it. And I figure once I'm back to normal again it'll probably all come back on. They did a Hyda-scan on me to see if my gall bladder just quit working. The test did show that it was not functioning completely, but not enough to remove it. It evidently is supposed to empty 40 percent of what they put in you during the second part of the test and mine only emptied 20 percent and I didn't experience pain during the test. However, I was so cold that my entire body was seized up. That's a later story. So after 2 months the second baby wasn't going home, but he was moved to a different foster home to protect Paquito's health. We were told that he was too fragile to get sick. We had been quarantined in the house only going to doctor's visits for most his life. But the other baby went to visitations with his family including 3 older siblings which meant he was exposed to lots of germs that would come home to Paquito. Things did get easier once we were back to one child especially once he was off the feeding tube. My GI doctor said that his diagnosis for me is the inflamed stomach, a little bit of GURD, the gall bladder is not completely working, and maybe a little IBS. All that combined has given me all this trouble. As long as I stick to the diet and my meds I'm okay. But it is hard. The other thing that will be hard is blogging. I'm going to try to get caught up. I'll post some things to catch you up, but the dates won't be accurate because I just don't have the mental energy to bother with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment