"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Q&A: Help for Nausea

I had such a good question in the comments section on my last post that I decided to make it into a post of it's own. I thought that it might be helpful to a lot of people and I didn't want anyone to miss it. So here's my first Q&A:

"Hi, Carmen! I'm sorry to hear about your stomach. I have a very delicate stomach, too, from my bariatric surgery. I have lots of nausea, too. What causes yours? Any cures to get rid of it? I'd love to hear if there are. I take Phenergan tabs for my nausea. I hope you feel better. I'm praying for you!!
Hugs,
Missy"
find Missy at FibroMyWhat?

Hey Missy,
Good to hear from you. Mine is a results of my sensitivity to external stimuli like smells, sounds, light, movement, changes in temperature (like walking outside from the a/c in the house to the heat outside to get the mail and then back in to the a/c), plain ole' heat, changes in barometric pressure, then also my vertigo and migraines. There are a few things that work for me depending on the severity of it. If it's just starting and not too bad you can try the old pregnancy remedies. Sprite or Sierra Mist and saltine crackers, peppermints. If you have nausea first thing in the morning keep some peppermints next to your bed and put one in your mouth and start sucking on it before you ever even lift your head. You can also drink peppermint tea. Ginger is good. You can take it in supplement form. I'm not sure if you can get peppermint like that. If you want to move toward OTC meds try meclazine. You can get it at Wal-Mart. You may have to ask the pharmacist to help you find it. Tell them your looking for the bottle that has about 100 pills in it. It is better than Dramamine because it doesn't make you drowsy. And it's much cheaper. If you talk to your doctor they'll tell you how much more you can take than what the label says. It comes in chewable, dissolvable form which can be helpful when nauseated. Some doctors will actually write a prescription for this. Depending on your insurance, you'll have to determine whether it is cheaper to buy it OTC or by prescription. There, of course, are lots of options with prescription meds and you can talk it over with your doctor. I'll tell you what has worked for me. I started with the Phenegran tablets. They do work. They down side is that they can knock you out, you have to swallow them which can be a challenge if nauseated and they take time to work like any pill. If you have a compound pharmacy around you, ask your doctor to write you a prescription for Phenegran in a gel form. It has to be specially mixed at a compound pharmacy. It's a gel that comes in a syringe (no needle, think plunger). You squeeze it onto the inside of your wrist and rub your two wrist together. The medicine is quickly absorbed through the skin and into your system. The plus side is that it works almost immediately and you don't have to swallow it. For me, it didn't seem to be as strong as the pill. So sometimes I would wait until I was stable and then hit it with a Phenegran tab chaser. However, that is not my advice as I am not an expert. In fact, I am a bad influence and you should do exactly as your doctor instructs. If your nausea if severe you can ask your doctor about Ondansetron. When my doctor prescribed it to me he said that it was the same thing that they prescribed to chemotherapy patients. Plus side, it dissolves. Downside, it can make you sleepy.

I hope that helps you. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to deal with nausea I would love to hear them also.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Carmen! Thank you for all the suggestions. I do have a compound pharmacy near, and was taking the Phenergan in liquid form, because with my surgery I can no longer take large pills. They either have to be crushed or in liquid form. Ah, I miss the days of downing a pill with water!! I never heard of the phenergan in gel form. Definiately worth checking out. And I do have a prescription for Ondansetron (Zofran) liquid. Talk about expensive!!! I get nauseated too when stepping out to the heat. It is dreadful at times. Anyway, good to talk with you! Love your blog, as always!!
    Hugs,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete