"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baked Ziti(s)

My friend, Sarah, over at Candida and Food reminded me of this recipe for Baked Ziti. She recently published the Candida Diet version on her blog. Since the original recipe was created I have made some adaptations mostly to make my husband happier ; ) so I'll post that recipe here. Now you'll have two recipes for Baked Ziti. Both recipes can be prepped for the freezer by doing everything except baking it. Just get it all ready, then put aluminum foil tightly on top then freeze. When you want to bake, thaw it out on the counter that day. Then continue with the recipe baking it, uncovered, until it is warm throughout and the cheese is brown. I usually split my batch into two smaller pans. One gets made for that evening. The other half gets put in the freezer. Anytime I can cut my workload in half my freezing a meal is great. When I know I'm going to have a day that I'll be too exhausted to cook I'll just pull out a meal to thaw and heat that night. Okay, here my updated version of the Baked Ziti.

  • 1 lb. ground turkey sausage
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I use the prechopped onion from the freezer section)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I usually buy most organic, natural, MSG free, use what you need for you)
  • 1 box rice penne pasta
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese
  • 1 container feta cheese
Heat a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Brown turkey with the onion in it. You shouldn't need to drain turkey because it's not that fattening. Use a garlic press to mince the garlic into the browned turkey.

In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the directions at the lowest time. Rinse under cool water. Mix in a large bowl with the spaghetti sauce and feta cheese.
Mix in the turkey and onion mix. Pour the entire mixture into the pan(s) and top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until the cheese is browned.

**all recipes should be adjusted to meet your specific dietary needs, please consult your physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment