"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My First Wheels

I flew home for a four day trip to see my girlfriends. I've gotten used to the stable, warm climate of South Texas. In fact we're in a severe drought. Well on the last day of my trip it began to rain. I was so happy to see the rain. I even took pictures because it had been so long since I had seen rain. I miss the sound of thunder and rain. What I wasn't expecting was how it would affect my Fibromyalgia. After we had breakfast and got dressed we decided to do just a little shopping before we headed toward the airport. We were walking into our first and only store when I ran into the door and started to fall over. I had an attack of vertigo. My vertigo is usually very well controlled. I may have a little dizzy spell now and then, but it goes away as quickly as it came. This one did not go away. I had to use a shopping cart to steady myself. But after that store it had eased up. However, my friend insisted that when I got to the airport I let them take me in a wheelchair through the airport. I've never done that and I felt so stupid. I told her that I thought you had to have some kind of doctor's note to get that. She said not if you tell them your sick. Because if you were to fall and get hurt and it was to come out that they had denied helping you, it would be a huge liability for them. I told her that if she came in an talked to the person when I checked in then I would do it. I still felt like an idiot. But when we talked about it I realized there were other reasons. For instance if I'm walking through the airport falling all over people they would think I was drunk or maybe under some kind of biological hazard material. TSA would probably not let me fly home. So anyway, they gave me no trouble. Just called for a wheelchair. But then they wheeled me straight to the front of the security line. I felt so bad for everyone who had been standing in line for security. They gave me a wooden cane to walk through the metal detector. Then I was taken on the plane with pre-boarding. Again, I felt so bad. But I guess they can't mess with a wheelchair when all the walking people are trying to get on. Then a chair was waiting on me when I had to switch planes and then again when I arrived home. I had texted my husband that I was coming out in a wheelchair so that he would not be surprised and freaked out. My husband also agreed that I should have taken the wheelchair. He said that since I was traveling alone I would not have been able to handle my two carry-ons, which is true. I just felt like everyone was staring at me. And they probably were. I was lined up with all these elderly people in wheelchairs and then me. People had to be wondering why I was in a chair and preboarding. I would have been wondering that. Even though I was not in full vertigo flare. I was definitely having a come and go spell. I decided that it must have been the rain. The barometric pressure fell and so did I. But I'm home now and feeling better except that I think I have some kind of cold. That's probably from lack of sleep while I was there. But it was such a great trip with my besties.

No comments:

Post a Comment