"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Spoon Theory

I loved this video. I saw it mentioned in a comment on someone's blog. Christine Miserandino is describing to her healthy friend what it's like to not be healthy. Although she is talking about having Lupus I really identified with her.
"I explained that the difference in being sick and being healthy, is having to make choices, or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn't have to.The healthy have a luxury of a life without choices."        
The having to eat first thing in the morning so you can take your meds while everyone wants to go out for breakfast. But if you wait until your out for breakfast to take your meds then your whole schedule is off. When she talks about having to decide what to do, literally, what to do in a day; because you know you will only last so long and it could affect tomorrow. I started to cry. It's so nice to hear it described in a way that hopefully a healthy person can understand. I face comments daily from people because they don't understand that I can't do it all or I physically can't do something that to them seems so easy, like getting makeup on or stirring while cooking. EVERYTHING has to be evaluated as to how it will affect me. Healthy people have a luxury I don't. And even good friends forget that I don't live in the same world they do.

Christine's website, But You Don't Look Sick, has a group on Facebook but I couldn't figure out how to post it as a favorite page on my Facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment