"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Breakthrough Buckwheat Breakfast!! by Sarah

Ok, maybe breakthrough is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have discovered a new breakfast option I’m excited to share.  I found this Creamy Buckwheat Cereal at Whole Foods and thought it would be a great alternative to oatmeal.
 I fixed it with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, Stevia and coconut milk.  Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? Well, it really wasn’t and I was disappointed.  I let the cereal sit in the cupboard for a week and thought about what else I could do with it.  I had my breakthrough this afternoon as I was making Bri’s peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  The peanut butter smelled sooo good and I did a bad thing…I cheated on my diet.  I ate a whole, heaping spoonful of peanut butter (peanuts are not allowed because they usually have mold on them.  Not helpful when on an antifungal diet).  So then I did another bad thing…I fixed a bowl of creamy buckwheat cereal and mixed in another heaping spoonful of peanut butter and some Stevia. WOW and YUM!!! It tasted like I was eating a peanut butter cookie. So, I figure if I use cashew or almond butter instead of peanut butter, it will still be super yummy and kosher for the diet. Here’s what you need:
  • ¼ cup of Creamy Buckwheat Cereal
  • ¾ cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 large spoonful of cashew/almond butter
  • Sprinkle of Stevia
Mix well and enjoy!
Sarah
http://sarahkerr.wordpress.com/ 

**Those with Candida react to foods differently.  These recipes are based upon my reactions to food and should be altered to fit your unique dietary needs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    In doing some research today about a new found allergy of mine, I came across your site. I discovered by accident last night that I am highly allergic to buckwheat pillows... even though they say they are hypo-allergic. If you do the research, this claim is completely false.

    The reason why I bring this up is that a lot of your symptoms of FM are the same as my permanent case of utricular vertigo. Not only am I dizzy 24/7 (it's actually a tilting feeling as opposed to spinning), but any type of motion, whether it's me moving or just things moving in my line of site, cause it to get worse. When the weather changes (barometrically) it can get so bad that I pass out cold.

    I only discovered this buckwheat hull (which turn out to contain trace amounts of buckwheat flour) allergy last night when I opened up a 2 month old pillow to remove some of the stuffing to make it more comfortable now that it had definitely gotten past its "breaking in" period. About 20 minutes later, my asthma kicked in and my eyes swelled shut.

    The kicker to all this is that I started using, and swearing by, buckwheat pillows about 9 years ago. It was about 6 months later that I came down with utricular vertigo. So, obviously, it's too soon to tell if I found a cure to my vertigo, but at the very least, it will help dampen my seriously bad sinuses and allergic conjunctivitis. (No clue what would happen if I actually ate it.)

    I also wanted to tell you about another adult onset allergy (I've become allergic to a lot of things since I turned 22 or so) that led to me having severe migraines for about 9 months... the antiperspirant that I had been using for 20 years. I only figured it out because they stopped making my brand. I switched to another, and that caused me to break out in a rash, but my migraines went away. Found a place that still had my original brand in stock... migraines came back. It turns out that there are only 2 types of chemicals used in antiperspirant. One causes me to have migraines and the other skin rashes. So now I just use straight, all natural, deodorant (which is practically useless).

    I just thought I would pass this info on as I know FM is rather hard to truly diagnose, as they are now trying to tell my mom that she has it. And last night I find out that I'm highly allergic to something that is supposed to be hypo-allergic. My vertigo makes it hard enough to think as it is to begin with. Now I can't even take what is considered safe for granted.

    Fred Madden

    If you want to discuss this further, you can track me down via Facebook. My profile pic has me holding a fish :) and I went to San Diego State University.

    ReplyDelete