"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Is It Really A Migraine?

I have migraines. I was quickly diagnosed with migraines because of the nausea, sensitivity to light, sound, smell, etc. But this was WAY before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia or understood that Fibro isn't just about pain. My Fibro manifests itself in nausea and vertigo due to an extreme sensitivity to external stimuli, i.e. light, smells, sounds, motion, changes in temperature, etc. I was always told that migraines are not the headache itself. The headaches that people usually refer to as a migraine is just another symptom of a migraine. So the fact that my migraine headaches did not always come with my other symptoms (i.e. nauesa, sensitivity to light) was not all that curious to doctors. So I was and am treated with preventative migraine medications that work. I also take migraine medication when I have a migraine headache and it works. But this morning on the TODAY Show they did a segment with Dr. Nancy Snyderman called Dealing with Chronic Headaches, migraines being one. The way they described it, I wonder if what I have is not a cluster headache. Although they said that they would go into what a cluster headache was they ran out of time and never did in fact describe a cluster headache, except in an answer to someone's question about a migraine that lasted for a week at a time. The doctor answered that it may be a cluster headache if it was lasting that long. I wonder if I was misdiagnosed. Maybe I have cluster headaches and the other symptoms that typically come from a migraine are really just symptoms from my Fibromyalgia.

Mayo Clinic defines a cluster headache as this:
A cluster headache is one of the most painful types of headache. A striking feature of cluster headache is that the attacks occur in cyclical patterns, or clusters — which gives the condition its name.
Bouts of frequent attacks — known as cluster periods — may last from weeks to months, usually followed by remission periods when the headache attacks stop completely. The pattern varies from one person to another, but most people have one or two cluster periods a year. During remission, no headaches occur for months, and sometimes even years.
Fortunately, cluster headache is rare and not life-threatening. Treatments can help make the attacks shorter and less severe. In addition, preventive medications can help reduce the number of headaches.
for more symptoms on cluster headaches, click here. Mayo Clinic defines a migraine as this:

Migraines are chronic headaches that can cause significant pain for hours or even days. Symptoms can be so severe that all you can think about is finding a dark, quiet place to lie down.
Some migraines are preceded or accompanied by sensory warning symptoms or signs (auras), such as flashes of light, blind spots or tingling in your arm or leg. A migraine is often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Although there's no cure, medications can help reduce the frequency and severity of migraines. If treatment hasn't worked for you in the past, it's worth talking to your doctor about trying a different migraine medication. The right medicines combined with self-help remedies and lifestyle changes may make a tremendous difference.

The cluster headaches sound very similar to what I have, but I have a lot of the vision problems that go along with the migraines with aura. See here for more info on the migraines with aura.
Either way, now I need to pay attention to the weather to see if I can see a pattern occurring between it and the headaches.

4 comments:

  1. Good Blog. You might want to check out my blog too. We must spread the word. Newer research suggests ALL fibro patients have myofascial trigger points, which can be a peripheral pain generator in migraine as well as FM.
    http://fmcfstriggerpoints.blogspot.com/2011/01/understading-migraine-and-role-of.html

    Harmony and Hope, Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you also looked up Transformed Migraine? I have daily migraines and I think it might fall under that title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Advancements in cluster migraine can be linked to many areas. While much has been written on its influence on contemporary living, several of today most brilliant minds seem incapable of recognizing its increasing relevance to understanding future generations. Since it was first compared to antidisestablishmentarianism much has been said concerning cluster migraine by the over 50, who are likely to form a major stronghold in the inevitable battle for hearts and minds. Hold onto your hats as we begin a journey into cluster migraine.

    ReplyDelete