"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thanks to the Cleaning Lady

Washing the dishes always makes my back hurt. So when I saw this article I thought how nice because I can cut out a little bit of my workload. I have always scrubbed my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Now I don't have to. And I wont' feel guilty. I going to start immediately. I'll let you know if it doesn't work. 

Posted by The Cleaning Lady on October 19, 2010

I was talking with my friend the other day who described the ongoing feud she has with her husband over the dishwasher. He insists that dishes need to be scrubbed and rinsed prior to going into the dishwasher, while my friend insists that they just need to be scraped of large food particles prior to dishwasher loading. So, who’s right?

Drum roll please. My friend is correct in this situation. According to experts, there is no need to pre-rinse dishes, and in fact if you do, you are wasting water, time and energy. Most newer dishwasher models have sensors that adjust the cycle’s water levels, temperature and time according to how dirty the dishes are. Rinsing dishes clean of all food particles can actually decrease the effectiveness of your dishwashing detergent - today’s detergents are designed to attack food particles left on dishes.
An energy-efficient dishwasher uses up to 5 gallons of water to clean an entire load of dishes, while leaving the water running and rinsing and scrubbing the same amount of dishes by hand uses up to 27 gallons of water. You can further save water by only running the dishwasher when it is completely full and loading it properly.

1 comment:

  1. I put my dishes into the dishwasher the way they come off the table (minus the big bits of food or napkins -- you know what I mean. I run the water in the sink adjoining the dishwasher until the water is very hot. This may seem like I'm wasting water, but it really works. The dishes come out so clean -- I couldn't believe it when someone told me about this but it works! About the only problem I have, once in a while, is with a dish where a casserole has baked on around the sides. That type of thing will most likely have to be soaked.
    Other shortcuts dictated by my fibro -- a folding chair in my bedroom is used for sorting laundry. I hated bending over the hamper to pull out the clothes to sort them but the chair makes it much easier.
    A counter stool in my kitchen is great for any time I would otherwise have to stand a while -- like cleaning the sink, getting rid of the piles of paper that tends to collect on the kitchen counter, cleaning out drawers, cleaning veggies in the sink.
    I have a rocking chair in the kitchen also and I use it when I have to wait for the timer for the oven, etc. I can read and be comfortable until the dinger dings.

    ReplyDelete