"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Is The Whole World Down Or Just My Internet?

The other day my internet was down. I had a sudden rise in anxiety. I know it's silly, but I actually had a little panic attack. Having just moved so far away, I've really come to depend on my internet to stay in contact with the outside world. All of a sudden I could not email, facebook, check blog updates. I felt so disconnected. Yes, I could make a phone call or get in my car and leave. But I thought maybe, just maybe, Texas really did have a big bubble that they could lower down over the state and cut off communication to the outside world. What if? Surely I would know if it was the end of the world because someone would post it on facebook. Except that I can't get online to check. I remember my freshman year in college I had never even been on the internet. Can you believe it? I didn't have a cell phone. If I wanted to find a friend and they didn't answer their dorm phone I had to walk my butt across campus to find them. Two things come to mind immediately. 1) my butt was much smaller then. 2) I always remember college as the best time of my life. My panic attack didn't last long because I do realize that I have a vivid imagination and my adult brain kicks in and tells my imagination to calm down. But for a very short while that day I felt very alone. Isolated. Cut off from the world and just a wee bit scared.

1 comment:

  1. The 'net is pretty important to me, too, and I hate it when it goes down or my father-in-law turns it off because of a threat of a thunderstorm, which a lot of the time never comes. I don't know how I survived without a computer growing up! Kids today sure are lucky!!!!

    I have a surprise for you, so please email me at missyschranzrn@gmail.com and I will email you back with the surprise. :0) Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete