"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Last Breast Appointment

Monday I had my last follow appointment of all the appointments in the long line of appointments that come with having found a lump(s) in my breast. That's right. It's over! For now anyway. I had my follow-up with the surgeon who just talked to me about my breast and if I was having any more pain in that area. I told her that it did hurt, but nothing like it used to. We concluded that I just have moody breast. They groan and complain anytime they have to do anything. Which is all the time since I am at that age where I'm supposed to me making babies and milk. I did find a lump in my right breast about a week ago. I wasn't even looking for it that's how obvious it was. I was in the shower and felt it. But I had just started my period and within a week it was gone, just like good 'ole Aunt Flo. Moody breast! I asked her if one reason that my breast hurt could be because one of my major trouble areas with Fibro is my shoulders. She said absolutely! That's how she said it. "Absolutely!" The pectoralis muscles are running under the breast and up toward the shoulders and it's all connected. So that could be another reason why I have pain come and go. She said that I would come back "as needed" which hopefully would not be for a long time. I'm clear, but let me tell you, it was a wake up call. She did say, as a scientist, she does not recommend any cancer prevention that promises a quick fix. She said don't fall for any youth saving procedures. Eat right, light exercise as tolerated (that's for me, not everyone.) Do your self-exams. Get your regular screenings. When I'm older, if I fall into a higher risk category (if I still haven't had a child, if a sister has since had breast cancer) then we would talk about other medical preventatives. Until then. . . live.

3 comments:

  1. I like with how you ended your post. When you stop and think about it, it's good advice fore everyone Just live. But oh, how hard it is to do sometimes!! Hope you are doing well. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

    Hugs,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had my period last week so I was exhausted again. I kept thinking about writing about it and how quickly it seems to come back around. But I never did. Imagine that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your doctor. Live! I'm 49 and I am still living. I refuse to let fibro lead my life as much as possible. I want to be in charge and not the other way around. I'm stubborn, so I guess that helps LOL A twisted sense of humour helps as well ;)

    I want to be the one that comes to a sliding screeching stop in front of the golden gates, glass of wine in hand, party hat on my head and scream 'What a trip!!!"

    I have problems with my shoulders and neck as well and since I use the massage trick it helps a lot, but it doesn't stop the sudden shooting pains I get in my breasts when I'm having my period. *yes, I still have those going full tilt, both my grandmother and mother didn't have their menopause until they were 60) My breasts feel like I'm getting zapped by an electric fence. I hate those pains especially in public, it's not like you can grab your breasts standing in the middle of a mall or in the vegetable aisle at the grocery store. LOL Can you imagine the looks LOL

    ReplyDelete