"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Flu Shot

I got my flu shot today. It was the multi-vaccine one. Let me warn you. It hurts. I'm not saying this to scare you. It doesn't really hurt. But I've never had a flu shot hurt before. While I was getting the shot I could feel the vaccine going in. I guess it took longer for it to go in because it's a bigger shot. I told the pharmacist, "Dude, you're not very good at this." He asked why and I said because it hurt. He said that he's had a lot of people tell him that. He said it's the H1N1 vaccine that hurts. So be prepared, if you're getting the multi-vaccine flu shot, that you will feel it going in. My arm doesn't seem to be bothering me now. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. I've heard that the trick is to make sure that you move your arm around a lot after you've gotten your shot. Don't favor your arm. I know there is a lot of controversy over whether or not to get vaccines. If I was a normally healthy person I may not get them. But that aside,  1) I live too close to the Mexican border. 2) The last thing I want to get is the flu. If I got the flu you might as well shoot me and put me out of my misery. I can't imagine having the aches and pains of the flu along with Fibromyalgia. I've had the flu, but it was a very long time ago, way before Fibro came into my life. And I gotta admit, I am afraid of getting it. And I am afraid of getting the swine flu now that we've moved so far south. That's why I got the flu vaccination.

4 comments:

  1. I decided the other day that even though I've never had a flu shot before, I'm going to have one this year. I feel as you do 'might as well shoot me and put me out of my misery if I got the flu. It's hard enough to get through the days of constant pain and crushing fatigue and dizziness and brain-fog without adding flu/influenza. Thanks for warning that it hurts, I saw the size of the needle in a picture in the local paper and thought, yep, that's going to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did they show the picture of the needle? That's craziness! Honestly, I didn't feel the needle go in. I didn't feel anything until he started pushing in the liquid. Usually the flu shot is just a tiny bit of liquid. This was more liquid. Also, afterward a little liquid was seeping out. But he said that was okay and just wiped it away. Today my arm is sore. I'm going to put some Tiger Balm on it : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! I got the flu shot last year and the swine flu one, and it didn't hurt. But I didn't get them TOGETHER, in the same shot. I hadn't heard of that yet. My doctor even strong-armed me to get my tetanus shot as I hadn't had one since 1985. Geez, I didn't see the need to rush! LOL! When I got the tetanus way back when, that sucker hurt like all get-out. That's why I hesitated on getting it again. But this time didn't hurt at all! Go figure. Thanks for letting me know about this new "combo" shot.
    Hugs,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get a flu shot every year since I have COPD. I get a cold or the flu and goes to pneumonia within 3 days. Bad enough that I'm on the cusp of getting hospitalized each time and end up having to take 200$+ in medication to get better.
    I usually get the general flu shot and last year I got the H1N1 shot as well.
    I wasn't diagnosed with fibro at that point but the injection site became inflamed and hurt like a wasps nest's worth of stings. Sleeping on it was out of the question and like you, once I've slept on a side and it's started to hurt badly, forget about sleeping on that side again. I roll around a lot throughout the night and each time I'm awakened by pain on the side of my body I'm laying on.

    These days I'm trying a different tack. When I've run out of sides to sleep on in my bed, I switch to the couch and that seems to help. The couch is much much softer than my bed, maybe that's why... I then get to sleep on each side and my back once more. It's like getting a free pass.

    ReplyDelete