"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Noise Sensitivity

Ok, here's another great article from Fibromyalgia and CFS Blog called Noise Sensitivity in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I told y'all this is a blog to follow and here is a good example. When talking about noise sensitivity she says:
"This aspect of our conditions hasn't been studied as much as the biggies -- pain and fatigue -- but some pain findings actually do lend some support to this idea. Most people have what's called an inhibitory response to repeated sensations. That means once they've felt something and their brains have determined it's not a threat, the response to it gets progressively weaker. A tight waistband, a shoe that rubs the Achilles tendon just a little, a slightly rough bedsheet are things everyone notices, but only at first. According to studies, those of us with fibromyalgia don't get to tune out these "harmless" sensations. Instead, our nerves over-react to them, sending more and more pain signals at every contact, and instead of filtering those signals out like it should, our brains seize hold of them and crank up the volume."
I've mentioned here on my blog before that this is one of my main problems with Fibro, the sensitivity to sound. I've even dialogued with a few of you about how difficult it can be for me to go out sometimes because I get sick so easily from sounds, as well as smells and light. I commented on this article that a dropped fork across a restaurant or passing by a metal wind chime can send me instantly into nausea. But it's in my own home too. Putting away the dishes is one of my most difficult tasks because of the sound it makes when I have to stack them together, especially metal on metal. I have this set of stainless steel metal mixing bowls. I love them and love to use them, but they make the most awful sound to me when I am putting them away. I really felt like I was a rare case in Fibro. I've never heard or read of anyone else having this problem. Now I know that I'm not alone. Should that really comfort me like it does?

5 comments:

  1. I have had the sensitivity to sound, for sure. Smells, no. Maybe that can be a signal for your migraines, too. Have you ever tried ear plugs on your "bad days"? Would that work? It would mute out some or most of the sound for you, making it easier for you to bear. One thing I've learned going down this road the past 15 years is you take NOTHING for granted. Every sight, smell or sound is precious, as you never know if it will come to you again. Good luck, my friend!!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea Missy. I should try wearing ear plugs, especially when I put away the dishes. I love the cook and I love to listen to the radio, Air 1, while cooking and I can see my husband in his office and we can talk over the radio. So I hate to plug my ears while I cook. But I could do it just to put away the dishes. And when he's not home I could listen to the music with earplugs. I'll try that. Thank you. And maybe I should carry some in my purse just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am sensitive to both sounds and smell. I've lost count of household cleaning products, soap powders, even dish washing liquids which I've had to give away freshly opened bacause I can't cope with the smell. As for noise .... My family don't understand why I frequently ask them to turn the volume control down 'just one notch', why a rhythmic drumming or tapping noise can send me over the edge, or any high pitch noise (like your stainless steel or dishes) can make doing the chores rally difficult. It's a relief to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am waiting for a diagnosis. I believe I do have FM and see a rhuematologist next month. The noise thing sure rings a bell with me and smells too. Anyway, I have heard of noise cancelling headphones. I've seen them as the big typical headphones but also as the 'in the ear' kind. So I think it would work that the earphones cancel out outside sounds but you can, of course, still hear the music you are listening to. I think some of them are just to cancel noise period. Worth checking into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was crazy! For the past 10 years or more, loud noises have been physically painful for me, and the people around me act like I'm nuts. We've had to leave multiple churches because the music is just too loud.
    My husband doesn't understand why the sound of our two little dogs licking themselves keeps me from being able to sleep at night, and send me out of the room during the day, so it's not just loud noises.
    I was just diagnosed two weeks ago, so I'm learning about fibro, and feeling such a sense of relief when I read things like this blog and go, "oh, ok, maybe I'm not just a whiner."

    ReplyDelete