"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Monday, August 2, 2010

Keeping You A Breast

We saw the surgeon today. She did a breast exam and did not feel anything on my right just like all prior exams. She found another spot on the left though. She did a very thorough ultrasound on my left breast. She said that the first mass that was originally found that was hurting was a fat nodule. They can be sensitive and the Fibromyalgia only exacerbates that pain. She did not see anything abnormal with the second lump found. The third lump, which she found today, was just normal metabolic activity. She said that my breast are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing at my age. They are lumpy, bumpy breast which are metabolizing and creating liquid. And then she scared us by saying that there was so much activity "are you sure you're not pregnant?" Ha! Ha! I just finished my period like two days before. But that's a joke she uses a lot with couples our age. I really liked her. She was very personable, yet she explained everything really well. Not that I remember it now. But at the time I felt like I could have been a colleague instead of a patient. I am at risk for breast cancer considering my family history and since I am over 30 and haven't had a child. At 35, if I haven't had a child, that risk goes up and I can choose to be included in a study to decrease that risk, but they won't take anyone until they are 35. My risk also is not really high enough to do the genetic risk factor testing. But she said that she is not worried at all about my breast. I am going back in two months to have a follow-up ultrasound to see how the activity is progressing. There was no need for a biopsy or lumpectomy. Yay!!!!!! However, she did show the biopsy needle to Rob. I had told her that I was afraid of it, but not a lumpectomy. When she showed it to him, he did get a little sick just looking at it. She said it is a "respectable" needle. Hopefully I will never have to meet it myself.

2 comments:

  1. I must be at risk, too, because I am 40 and haven't had a child. My husband and I tried when I was in my 20's, but then the fibro struck and then his cancer, so we had to give up our dream of having children. I am soooo glad that you are alright. I've been praying about you. Thank you for keeping us all informed! I love reading your blog and your other blog, too. Keep up the great work! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, They figure a lot of other things into consideration when they decide your risk factor. mothers and grandmothers with breast cancer and especially sisters with breast cancer. It really lowered my risk factor that I have 3 half sister whom none have had breast cancer even though I've had a mother and a paternal great grandmother with breast cancer. So I wouldn't worry too much about the fact the you've not given birth. She did say that doing the monthly self-breast exams was not about knowing how to properly do them as much as it is about doing it every month and then one month you notice something feels different because you have been doing the self-exams, correctly or not. And go get a mammogram. It'll put your mind at ease and it really wasn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete