"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Saturday, May 29, 2010

New Criteria For Diagnosing Fibromyalgia

Adrienne Dellwo, About.com Guide to Fibromyalgia & CFS recently reported that there are new criteria in diagnosing Fibromyalgia. Read her article here. It describes the diagnostic procedure for Fibromyalgia and the differences that have been made to include
  • Fatigue
  • Waking unrefreshed
  • Cognitive symptoms
  • Somatic (physical) symptoms in general (such as headache, weakness, bowel problems, nausea, dizziness, numbness/tingling, hair loss)
I've probably had Fibromyalgia for about 8 years or so. I spent almost 2 years fighting against getting diagnosed. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed and started a treatment regimen which has worked well especially for my pain. I have always felt that going strictly on a pain criteria, I do much better than most people with Fibro. My probably is the hypersensitivity to external stimuli which causes a lot of vertigo, nausea and migraines. Although I feel I do have pain, pretty extensive fibrofog, difficulty sleeping and continuing muscle weakness. Thankfully I have been blessed with doctors that know that Fibro isn't just a pain disorder. In addition to Lyrica and Cymbalta, my first medications, I added melatonin. Then I got special glasses for light sensitivity and a prescription for the eye drops Alphagan, which are typically used for Glaucoma patients. My medicine for nausea was upgraded to Ondansetron, the same thing they give to chemo patients. My vertigo is returning so I began taking Topiramate as well. We'll see what happens . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment