"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Monster List of Fibromyalgia Symptoms

General Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Delayed reactions to physical exertion or stressful events
  • Other family members with fibromyalgia (genetic predisposition)
  • Sweats
  • Unexplained weight gain or loss
  • Cravings for carbohydrate and chocolate
  • Headaches & migraines
  • Vision changes, including rapidly worsening vision

Muscle & Tissue-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

Sinus & Allergy-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

Sleep-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Light and/or broken sleep pattern with unrefreshing sleep
  • Fatigue
  • Sleep starts (falling sensations)
  • Twitchy muscles at night
  • Teeth grinding (bruxism)

Reproductive Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Menstrual problems
  • PMS (as an overlapping condition)
  • Loss of libido
  • Impotence

Abdominal & Digestive Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Bloating & nausea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Pelvic pain
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (as an overlapping condition)
  • Urinary frequency

Cognitive/Neurological Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Difficulty speaking known words, other language impairments (dysphasia)
  • Directional disorientation
  • Poor balance and coordination
  • Paresthesias in the upper limbs (tingling or burning sensations)
  • Loss of ability to distinguish some shades of colors
  • Short-term memory impairment
  • Confusion
  • Trouble concentrating
  • Staring into space before brain "kicks in"
  • Inability to recognize familiar surroundings

Sensory Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Sensitivity to odors
  • Sensitivity to pressure changes, temperature & humidity
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Sensitivity to noise
  • Night driving difficulty
  • Sensory overload

Emotional Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Panic attacks
  • Depression (as an overlapping condition)
  • Tendency to cry easily
  • Free-floating anxiety (not associated with situation or object)
  • Mood swings
  • Unaccountable irritability

Heart-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Mitral valve prolapse (as an overlapping condition)
  • Rapid, fluttery, irregular heartbeat
  • Pain that mimics heart attack, frequently from costochondritis (as an overlapping condition)

Skin, Hair & Nail-Related Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Pronounced nail ridges
  • Nails that curve under
  • Mottled skin
  • Bruising or scaring easily
  • Hair loss (temporary)
  • Tissue overgrowth (non-cancerous tumors called lipomas, ingrown hairs, heavy and splitting cuticles, adhesions)

Miscellaneous Fibromyalgia Symptoms

  • Hemorrhoids
  • Nose bleeds
Sources:
2004 Devin J. Starlanyl. All rights reserved. "Fibromyalgia (FMS) and Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP) For Doctors and Other Health Care Providers."

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely! Share it with others. I posted it originally because my mom thinks my dad may have Fibro but of course he won't even consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good but there are so many things that are not even on here. lol I'm sorry you suffer too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been suffering from a lot of body pain ,numbness and tingling and some burning sensations in my back along my spine,feels like someone burning me with a hot poker. Fatigue a real hard time walking at times pain in back neck ,hips, knees, along the top of my shoulders and the cold bothers me also. Seem to not be able to get rid of my hemorriods they itch and burn .I have been suffering from these and more for almost 8 years and it has gotten worse I am tired of taking Ibuprophin,Aleve, MY DR keeptelling me it is in my head, I found these sites and I have just orderd FIBRO 1 and I hope I will get releif. Ican not sleep I am tired of taking sleeping pills have now for almost 8 years. They are over the counter pills but just tired I hope the pills I have just purchased will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I am so sorry. My first reaction is "You need to find a new doctor!" Of course that is my initial reaction and I may be wrong. But I just feel like any doctor that ever says "it's just in your head." should be replaced. There are a lot of docs who still don't believe in Fibromyalgia. They just need to go back to medical school. I don't know if you live in a rural area and are just not able to get to a good doctor. But ask around. Post on the FB pages the city that you are looking in, google it. Call doctors offices and ask to speak to the nurse. Tell them that you are looking for a new doctor and you want to know their view on Fibromyalgia before choosing them. Ask your current doctor for a referral to a Rheumatologist. If he won't at least give you that, then definitely dump him. Listen, as soon as I get a chance I'm going to post on hemorrhoids. It'll be a new post. But baby boy's fussing now so I gotta go.

      Delete
    2. I have the tingling, burning and electrical shock like feelings. Sometimes it feels like an ant walking up my leg. I have had this problem for 45 years! Finally, a Neurologist put me through a panel of blood tests and EMGs. I have what is known as idiopathic neuropathy. That means it has an unknown cause. I am taking Cymbalta twice a day to calm it down so I can stand it. There is no cure just something to help with the symptoms. So, please see a Neurologist too. Sometimes, they can find the cause, like in diabetic neuropathy.

      Carol Wong

      Delete
  4. The most common complaint of those suffering from Fibromyalgia signs and symptoms, and other overlapping syndromes, are pain and fatigue in muscles and tendons.
    Fibromyalgia Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  5. Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:

    Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness, weakness in the limbs, and leg cramp

    Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy

    Fibromyalgia Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years ive always known theres been something wrong with me and it all started when I was in my early 20's. My joints felt so stiff, I had the most terrible periods, I was forever complaining that I felt tired despite having around ten hours sleep or sometimes more. I have always had digestive problems with horrendous cramps and the passed two-three years my sleep pattern has been horrendous to the point were I was surviving on around 4/5 hours sleep and the time out numbered i'd said to people that I just wished I could get a good nights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. Anyhow, I continued to battle on and during the summer of last year I remember going into town and I couldn't wait to get back home because my whole body just felt like a lead weight and I felt exhausted and when I returned back home within the space of around 30 minutes or so I literally crawled into bed and slept the afternoon away. Ive also numerous of times felt as though I am coming down with a cold but nothings developed and in September last year I had an accident and ended up at A & E having a foot x-ray because my foot had literally just gone forward while on board a train which resulted in me not being able to put my foot down. The following day the other foot was exactly the same. The pain was horrendous to the point were I was literally having to crawl like a baby from my bedroom to the bathroom because it was too painful to put any weight on my feet. I got referred to an assessment unit and immediately after touching several areas on my body they told me that they were 99.9% sure that I was suffering with fibromyalgia. I had blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis just to rule that out and was told that they were so sure it was fibromyalgia that the chances that the bloods for rheumatoid arthritis would come back negative, which they did. I told them that I constantly had this itching/burning/prickly heat sensation were my whole body felt as though there was something crawling. I mentioned also that I have frequent problems with my digestive system were im doubled up in agony with cramps and forever flying to the toilet, I mentioned that if the tv is on too loud it grates on me and said that I constantly feel agitated and have frequent bouts of anxiety and said that some days my joints feel really good and I feel less bloated but then said that other days I just feel exhausted etc. I'd heard of fibromyalgia but didn't have a clue as to how complex it is and how it can affect people in so many different ways. When I first started suffering in my early 20's no one took me seriously and I was told that it was all in my head and in the end I never pursued it any further because it was like banging on wood and could never get anyone to listen and I did actually say to one GP that just because I look perfectly ok that I knew something was wrong so in some respects if I hadn't have had the accident i'd have been none the wiser. I now take naproxen 500mg twice per day along with amityrptaline 25mg. Im now able to get a decent nights sleep other than the odd night and that burning/prickly heat sensation has eased up no end which is good because that in itself used to drive me to despair. I just try and avoid stressful situations and if I feel tired I just rest when i can but not always convenient and I just try and manage it the best way I can. Everyone on here who suffers with fibromyalgia I know exactly how you feel and you have my sympathy :)

      Delete
    2. Please can anyone tell me if it can affect teeth

      Delete
    3. Can anyone tell me if fibro can effect your teethh.

      Delete
    4. I would suggest asking this on the Facebook page where you would get an answer quicker.

      Delete