"I only get one life and I will not let Fibromyalgia take the joy from my living it."

Monday, March 22, 2010

"My Future's So Bright. . .

. . . I gotta wear shades." My sensitivity to light has become increasingly burdensome with instant nausea and migraines, not able to drive at night, etc. Evidently it is a common side affect of the Fibromyalgia. I recently had an appointment with the opthamologist. She first asked if my Lyrica was helping the sensitivity to light. I guess not because it seems to be getting worse. She said that many times in cases like mine they will actually prescribe Lyrica. But I'm already on it. She said that we could put me on a preventative migraine medicine to help. But before putting me on yet another medication first we'll try glasses. My vision is 20/20 but I still got glasses, two pair actually. I have sunglasses for the day with polarized lenses and some kind of special tint. And I have a pair for cloudy days and nighttime that have an orange tint to help block out the most blue rays and polarized. I don't really understand what all this means I just hope it works. She also gave me some eye drops that I put in about 30 minutes before I go out at night. They are supposed to keep my eyes from dilating and therefore not let in as much light. If those don't work she has another kind that I can try later. The bad news is that we waited until after the New Year so that we could get me on the vision plan. Well, because it associated with the fibro, they ran my appointment through health insurance. And because my glasses didn't require a vision prescription my insurance would not cover them. They suggested that we try to cancel my vision plan and ask for a refund. She was nice enough to give us a 20% discount, but they were still pretty expensive. But since there isn't a prescription they should last a really long time. I know I'm going to be a little self conscious because my lenses are orange. But when I was picking out my frames I found these cool ones that have the stem on the bottom instead of on the top. I figured if my glasses have to be weird looking then I might as well get some cool ones too. Notice the stems in the picture? It kinda makes you want to turn them over. My sunglasses came back first. When I was leaving the office one of the girls said "enjoy that sunshine." It really struck me at that moment. Now maybe I can enjoy the sunshine. I used to, but I've been hiding from it for years now. I look forward to not getting sick with every bit of light that shines my way. I did get a little nauseous on the way home with the adjustment to the glasses, but I could already feel the eyes trying to relax. I could literally feel the strain trying to let up. This could change my life. So how do you like my new glasses?

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally! I always have to wear my shades too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs UP! And if they work, even more so!!

    ReplyDelete